Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A difficult conversation with a five-year old

Please note: this is entirely fictional. I do not have a five year old daughter named Alex or a husband. However, I do enjoy Disney, so enjoy :)

"But what do you mean we aren't going to Disney?"
Crap. Maybe I should have started this differently. I knew the tears were going to come, but I wasn't expecting Alex to start sobbing right off the bat.
"Alex, I think we will have to wait a little longer to go to Disney World"
"But why?"
"Uh, well, because mommy and daddy don't have enough money right now, we have to save a little more"
"WAIT RIGHT THERE" Alex screamed, "I'll be right back!!!"
"Okay...." what was she up to? She had bolted up the steps as fast as those five year old legs could take her, which believe me, was actually pretty fast. next thing you know, there are little five year old stomps back down the stairs and into the living room.
Oh God. she brought down her piggy bank.
"Here mommy" She says as pull out two dollars and forty two cents.
Crap.
"Oh thank you sweetheart, but, um, I still think we need to wait a little longer"
"But why? I brought you some money" the tears started to form in her eyes.
"I, um, know honey but I um" I looked at my husband. He looked equally as confused. 
"Well Alex," he started, "because um, last night, we got a letter from Pascal"
"Pascal?" Alex and I said in unison. Where is he going with this?
"Yes, Pascal" he said catching my eye, "And Pascal said he needs you to stay home for a little while, because he needs to help Rapunzel and Flynn have their wedding first".
"WE ARE GOING TO MISS THEIR WEDDING!?"

Well, that didn't work.



4 comments:

  1. Reading this really did make me smile, Lauren! It's a very realistic situation, and I love how you incorporated a disney character to connect with the five- year- old. I loved the nervous voice of the mom as well, and how by the end, they still have a crying kid on their hands. Pretty spiffy, am'am (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the most adorable thing that I have ever read. However, my negative is that you did not capitalize a bunch of your sentences. So, therefore I would fix that and it will be PURFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you incorporated the thoughts of the person talking to their kid as well as the dialog. The only negative was that the parents couldn't find a good enough excuse for the kid to be satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, this is adorable! I like it a lot. You really established the innocence and good nature of little kids so well. (As well as a perfect reference to Tangled. Which is a fantastic movie.) I think it could improved by a bit more detail in some sections. There's good description with Alex, but I thought the character of your fictional husband could have been fleshed out better.

    ReplyDelete