Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2013

thoughts on courage

I have been working at Personal Best Karate for four years now. In the beginning, I primarily worked with the students and on occasion taught a part of the class. A few years ago, my boss called me over, and told me I was to teach three entire classes by myself. you can imagine I was terrified. But I had to do it. So I stepped onto the mat, and started that first class with shaking hands. The first fifteen minutes were me with my nose in a clipboard, reading what to do. However, by the end of the class the clipboard was on the ground, and I was actually talking directly to the kids. It was amazing how comfortable I was by the end of that class, and how easy the next two were. I strongly believe those first fifteen minutes of courage truly boosted my self confidence, enhanced my communication skills, and ultimately made me a stronger instructor. That courage gave me skills that I could have only received through putting myself out there, and so I credit those three hours with most of the teaching skills I have today.

2 comments:

  1. I had a very similar moment my first day of teaching except my nose was to the blackboard and my back was to a class of 25 seventh-graders and my thoughts were hardly pleasant: "Why am I here? I don't want to do this? How did I get here? I can't do this?" Needless to say, I turned around and faced the class. The rest is history.

    ReplyDelete